Release candidate: Godot 3.4.1 RC 3
By: Rémi Verschelde 15 December 2021
Godot 3.4 was released a month ago, and it went fairly smoothly! Many thanks to all the contributors who worked on it, including all testers who tried beta and RC releases to ensure that the 3.4-stable branch would be an easy and worthwhile upgrade path for all users.
No software release is perfect though, so there will always be some things to iron out, which is why we usually provide maintenance releases for stable branches, focusing on bugfixing and preserving compatibility (see our release policy). A number of fixes have been queued already in the
3.4 branch for Godot 3.4.1, so here’s a new release candidate to validate them.
This RC 3 notably adds a change for the terminal handling on Windows to work around a design limitation of Windows 11’s new default Windows Terminal (GH-54076). Please test it on Windows (any version) to confirm that editing a project from the project manager, and running a project from the editor, both work fine.
As usual, you can try it live with the online version of the Godot editor updated for this release.
Here are some of the main changes since 3.4-stable:
- Android: Fix
get_screen_orientation()not returning valid values (GH-55210).
- Android: Add configs to specify the min and target sdk versions (GH-55735).
- Android: Add support for configuring the XR hand tracking frequency mode (GH-55768).
- Camera2D: Fix condition on ‘jump to limits’ logic (GH-55417).
- Editor: Clamp rotation for up/down orbiting shortcuts (GH-54788).
- Editor: Fix swapped rest pose action names in the Skeleton2D editor (GH-54851).
- Editor: Fix Theme Editor crash when clicking the element picker (GH-55186).
- Editor: Improve project export and MeshLibrary export checkboxes (GH-55215).
- Editor: Remove editor splash screen with sponsors logo (GH-55467).
- Editor: Fix
EditorPlugin.remove_inspector_plugin()instance cleanup (GH-55658).
- Editor: Sort and group theme properties in docs, improve formatting for theme and enums (GH-55526).
- Editor: Expose
ScriptEditor::editto scripting (GH-55709).
- GDScript: Don’t ignore the type mismatch in setter function (GH-54117).
- GDScript: Support multiline indexing with
- HTML5: Fix input not focusing canvas, check Gamepad API errors (GH-55111, GH-55342).
- HTML5: Fix multi-touch input handling (GH-55466).
- HTML5: Use absolute path for JS lib/pre/externs for compatibility with latest Emscripten (GH-55347).
- HTML5: Use compatibility function for
glGetBufferSubDatato preserve support for older Emscripten (GH-55354).
- HTML5: Fix
files_droppedin exported Mono builds (GH-55594).
- Import: Prevent OBJ importer from printing misleading error (GH-54694).
- Import: Fix incorrect glTF cubic spline interpolation times/values size error (GH-54805).
- Import: Fix support for CSG and GridMap in glTF scene export (GH-54911).
- Import: Fix texture atlas generation when source sprite is larger than generated atlas (GH-55094).
- Import: Fix crash when exporting meshes to glTF that have no skin (GH-55246).
- Input: Add
- Input: Fix regression in UI navigation with joysticks (GH-55480).
- iOS: Capture and display
- LSP: Prevent LSP adding signal callbacks to non GDScripts (GH-55624).
- macOS: Enable multithreaded OpenGL engine flag when using multithreaded VisualServer (GH-54526).
- macOS: Read and ZIP project files in 16K chunks instead of reading the whole file at once (GH-54673).
- macOS: Fix crash on DualShock 4 joypad removal (GH-55034).
- macOS: Fix driver crash when enabling per-pixel transparency on M1 macs (GH-55464).
- macOS: Fix crash handler not printing function names on M1 Macs (GH-55019).
- Networking: Fix HTTP request headers being included in response (GH-54683).
- Networking: Fix potential infinite loop when connecting HTTPClient (GH-55358).
- Particles: Fix for double use of seed in random shader variables (GH-55607).
- Physics: Expose
intersect_pointin 3D physics server (GH-54577).
- Physics: Fix the volume calculation for cylinders in GodotPhysics (GH-54642).
- Physics: Fix errors in KinematicBody when floor is destroyed or removed (GH-54819).
- Physics: Fix
test_movereporting collision when touching another body (GH-54845).
- Physics: BVH: Fix pairing for teleported or fast moving objects (GH-54925).
- Physics: BVH: Detect shrinkage within expanded bounds (GH-55050).
- Physics: BVH: Add option for expanded AABBs in leaves (GH-55096).
- Rendering: Fix vertex attribute specification for octahedral compression (GH-54768).
- Rendering: Update CanvasItem when MultiMesh instance transform changes (GH-54899).
- Rendering: Portals: Allow user to set roaming expansion margin (GH-54921).
- Rendering: Fix incorrect VisualServer RID cleanup in various locations (GH-55673, GH-55669, GH-55701, GH-54650).
- Rendering: Fix occasional dangling OmniLight RID (GH-41360).
- RichTextLabel: Fix right alignment regression (GH-55439).
- RichTextLabel: Fix min/max line width calculation (GH-55440).
- Tabs: Prevent hidden tab close buttons from intercepting input (GH-55453).
- TextEdit: Allow toggling bookmark gutter (GH-55197).
- TextEdit: Add methods to get position from column and line (GH-55416).
- TextureProgress: Fix position of reference cross with
- Theme: Make default/project theme wait for modules before initializing (fixes WebP support for custom themes) (GH-55484).
- Tiles: Fix TileSet editor workspace breaking (GH-55059).
- Tiles: Only add light occlusion for visible TileMaps (GH-54435).
- Tiles: Fix selecting next/previous subtile in TileSet editor (GH-55261).
- Viewport: Show tooltips even when paused or
time_scaleis 0 (GH-55224).
- Windows: Open a new console window for the editor instances (GH-55925).
- This is needed to workaround a design change in Windows 11’s new Windows Terminal, which broke Godot (GH-54076).
- XR: Add support for OpenXR export configurations (GH-55158).
- Thirdparty library updates: libogg 1.3.5, libvorbis 1.3.7, minimp3 from 2021-11-30, CA certificates from 2021-11-01.
- API documentation and translation updates.
The downloads for this dev snapshot can be found directly on our repository:
- Standard build (GDScript, GDNative, VisualScript).
- Mono build (C# support + all the above). You need to have dotnet CLI or MSBuild installed to use the Mono build. Relevant parts of Mono 220.127.116.11 are included in this build.
As a tester, you are encouraged to open bug reports if you experience issues with 3.4.1 RC 3. Please check first the existing issues on GitHub, using the search function with relevant keywords, to ensure that the bug you experience is not known already.
In particular, any change that would cause a regression in your projects is very important to report (e.g. if something that worked fine in 3.4 no longer works in 3.4.1 RC 3).
Godot is a non-profit, open source game engine developed by hundreds of contributors on their free time, and a handful of part or full-time developers, hired thanks to donations from the Godot community. A big thankyou to everyone who has contributed their time or financial support to the project!