Maintenance release: Godot 3.3.1
By: Rémi Verschelde 18 May 2021
We released Godot 3.3 a few weeks ago, and feedback so far has been pretty good! But like with any major milestone, there are some bugs which are worth addressing with low-risk maintenance releases to further improve the experience for all Godot users.
Godot 3.3.1, like all future 3.3.x releases, focuses purely on bug fixes, and aims to preserve compatibility. It is a recommended upgrade for all Godot 3.3 users.
Note: Illustration credits at the bottom of this page.
Here are some of the main changes since 3.3-stable:
- Animation: Fix skinning initialization in
MeshInstancewhen loaded from thread (GH-48217).
- Batching: Fix light pass
modulate, a potential crash, polygon rotation from vertex shader, and 2D skinning with unrigged polygons (GH-48151, GH-48125, GH-48457, GH-48647)).
- Buildsystem: Various compilation fixes for some platforms/compilers, and Linux packaging fixes.
- Core: Fix ZIP files being opened with two file descriptors (GH-42337).
- Core: Expose
Shape.get_debug_mesh()to the scripting API (GH-48316).
- Core: Fix calculation of PrismMesh normals (GH-48775).
- Editor: Fix race condition in font preview generation which could lock the editor on first edit (GH-48308).
- Editor: Fix display of programmatically created value in remote inspector (GH-44657).
- Editor: Allow negative contrast values in the editor theme settings (GH-48540).
- HTML5: Fix build with Emscripten 2.0.17+ (GH-48320).
- HTML5: Fix
target_fpswhen window loses focus (GH-48543).
- Lightmapper: Add support for ARM64 architecture for the raycaster (Apple M1, Linux aarch64) (GH-48455).
- Note that the denoiser is still not available on this architecture.
- Lightmapper: Fixes to environment energy (GH-48089).
- Linux: Fix 32-bit builds' compatibility with older libstdc++. The builds should be compatibile with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and any other distribution published since 2016.
- Linux: Handle having no sinks in the PulseAudio driver (GH-48706).
- LSP: Update the filesystem for changed scripts, fixes issues with new named classes (GH-47891).
- macOS: Update
Info.plistto clarify that the minimum required version is now macOS 10.12 (due to use of C++14 features).
- Networking: Fix socket poll timeout on Windows (GH-48203).
- Physics: Create
CollisionObjectdebug shapes using
- SkeletonIK: Fix root bones being twisted incorrectly when rotated (GH-48251).
- Rendering: Fix 2D software skinning relative transforms (GH-48402).
- Rendering: Fix usage of proxy textures on GLES2
- Rendering: Fix refraction offset by manually unpacking normal mappings (GH-48478).
- Rendering: Disable GIProbe emission when disabled on a material (GH-48798).
- WebXR: Fix incompatibility with Emscripten 2.0.13+ which made WebXR error out in 3.3-stable (GH-48268).
- VisualScript: Fix wrongly setting default value on property hint change (GH-48702).
- API documentation updates.
- Translation updates.
As of now, there are no known incompatibilities with the previous Godot 3.3 release. We encourage all users to upgrade to 3.3.1.
If you experience any unexpected behavior change in your projects after upgrading from 3.3 to 3.3.1, please file an issue on GitHub.
Godot is a non-profit, open source game engine developed by hundreds of contributors on their free time, and a handful of part or full-time developers, hired thanks to donations from the Godot community. A big thank you to everyone who has contributed their time or financial support to the project!
The illustration picture is from Scrabdackle, an upcoming action/adventure game with endearing hand-drawn artwork, developed by jakefriend. They just had a successful Kickstarter and you can follow the development on Twitter, Discord and try a demo on itch.io!